Thursday, September 21, 2017

Melissa Stites Creator of STC Questionnaire with NCG Readers

Melissa Stites is the owner of “There Once Was a Curl.” She’s CHA trained which is in my opinion one of the highest accreditation to have as a curly haired stylist. You can find her salon’s website here, her salon Facebook page here, and her salon Instagram here! Thank you so much, Melissa.

I cannot express how sweet, endearing and lovely you are. Melissa is truly one of the nicest, dearest and lovely people to deal with. Thank you for allowing me to share your Youtube video, your questionnaire and most of all: teaching us how to love our waves, curls, and coils!

Melissa’s Original Blogpost: http://www.thereoncewasacurl.com/blog/squish-to-condish

Youtube Video: https://youtu.be/CB1EZ_Y0JbE

Question #1: I'm curious to understand the science behind the STC (squish to condish) method and its effectiveness. Does it really work (especially on low porosity hair)? If so, how? Whenever I do it, it just feels like I'm squishing all of my conditioner out of my hair? And lastly, is there a right/wrong way to do it?

Melissa’s Answer: Hi y'all — I wrote the ‘Squish to Condish’ quite some time ago. Please do not look at it as a science article. Its purpose is to teach you the technique of adding more water as opposed to adding more conditioner. It is what I say while doing someone’s hair with a mirror at the bowl. It is just a teaching tool that has caught on like wildfire — I must say. The hardest part of my job is teaching my clients how to change their habits! I want you to get your hair WET and squish out the conditioner. Not a leave in, not a rinse out, but a squish it out. OHHHHH if I could get you all in my chair I would! But please do not look too far into it. It was never meant to be anything more than a help to start you to loving your curls!

Questions #2 and #3: Wet it really well before and after you conditioner or just before?

Melissa’s Answer: Get the hair very wet, add the conditioner to each and every hair strand, the conditioner will begin to help get the hair wetter, add more water to each and every hair strand and squish out the conditioner. Catch that soaking wet frizz free curl with your gel or cream.

Melissa’s Answer in More Detail:
You see when clients come in for the first time: this is where they struggle the most.
We stick our head under the shower head for a hot second and then plop a big palm full of conditioner on the top of our head and then try to rake it through. Cosmetic thinking that we have to coat our hair to tame it.

What I want you to do is allow the hair to absorb the water then add light amount of conditioner to each and every hair strand.

Do not miss a spot! It will let you know if you do! I would like you to add more water, to each and every hair strand, splash your self, get the middles and not just the ends then squish out the conditioner.

You should be left with a frizz free, clumpy, curl.

Those of you who are already getting good curls are probably doing this in some way, shape of form.

But think of a newbie who is just getting started and is overwhelmed with all the talk of product and science.

It is for them and there is still a lot of them out there that I'm trying to reach. Those who can't get to my chair and see how it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting and contributing! I always love to hear your input! I look forward to writing back soon!

Love,
The Nerdy Curly Girl

Anti-Humectant Products: Creams (PF and Protein)

It’s that time again! I’m continuing the humectant free series. On hindsight: I realized that I have never once posted any creams on my blo...